Feb. 5, 2019 Staff Report
A Queens man has been indicted on kidnapping and child endangerment charges after allegedly attempting to kidnap a young girl in Ridgewood late last year, and could face up to 25 years in prison if convicted.
Relyn Estrada, 40, was arraigned yesterday in Queens Supreme Court and charged with second-degree kidnapping and endangering the welfare of a child after a Dec. 15 incident in Ridgewood, where he allegedly forced an 11-year-old girl into his car.
The young girl was walking on Centre Street near Seneca Avenue at around 7:30 a.m. that day when Estrada allegedly drove ahead of her, got out of his car and ordered her to come to him.
The 11-year-old, according to the Queens DA’s office, said, “No, thank you,” and ran the opposite way.
Estrada allegedly chased after her, grabbing her arm and backpack and forcing her into the front seat of his car.
The pre-teen began kicking her legs and screaming for help, eventually catching the attention of Alexander Salas, a Good Samaritan who helped her escape after he asked if she knew the man in the car.
Salas did not let Estrada escape as he waited for police to arrive to the scene and take him into custody.
“If not for a brave Good Samaritan who stepped in to help, the fate of the girl could have been horribly different,” said Queens DA Richard Brown in a statement. “The defendant will be vigorously prosecuted and held accountable for his alleged actions.”
Estrada, who lives in Glendale, is reportedly a registered level one sex offender.
He is being held without bail and due back in court on March 11.