You are reading

New York City to Start Phase Four of Reopening Monday, Comes With Restrictions

Mayor de Blasio said New York City will enter Phase IV Monday, but indoor dining, malls and museums will remain shuttered (Ed Reed/Mayoral Photography Office)

July 17, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City is on track to begin Phase IV of the state’s reopening plan Monday — but indoor businesses that were slated to reopen as part of the phase will remain shuttered.

Indoor malls, museums, aquariums and other cultural centers will not reopen Monday, despite their initial inclusion in Phase IV, both Mayor Bill de Blasio and Governor Andrew Cuomo said. Indoor dining, which was originally set for Phase III reopening, will remain shut.

“We are moving forward with Phase IV on Monday,” de Blasio said this morning, although “with some specific approaches and modifications.”

Low-risk outdoor entertainment, such as zoos and botanical gardens, will reopen Monday as planned, but with a reduced capacity.

Professional sports without an audience and media production will also resume Monday.

The governor and mayor rejected the reopening of indoor activities, noting that the number of COVID-19 cases were skyrocketing in areas where indoor dining has been permitted.

“Indoors is where we have concerns,” de Blasio said.

“We’ve got to strike a balance and we’ve got time to look at the evidence, watch what’s happening around the country, watch what’s happening here in this city, and make further decisions on some of these pieces.”

Gov. Cuomo confirmed that New York City has been cleared to enter Phase IV on Monday in a Tweet this afternoon.

Earlier this month, the pair announced that indoor dining — which was slated to reopen with Phase III businesses on July 6 — had been postponed indefinitely.

De Blasio said indoor dining — which he called “very high risk” — will not reopen anytime soon.

Schools and higher education may also reopen in Phase IV — though public schools must meet additional requirements set by the state and many colleges have already announced they will resume classes online only in the fall.

The mayor applauded how far New York City has come since shutting down in March, but urged New Yorkers to stay disciplined.

“We’ve got to keep bringing this city back, but that’s going to take all of us playing our part.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.