You are reading

Middle Village Teenager Recruited by Queensboro FC Academy, First Player From Queens

Piero Elias, Queensboro FC (Provided by Queensboro FC)

March 5, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A teenager from Middle Village has become the first player from Queens to be recruited by the borough’s new soccer franchise Queensboro FC.

Piero Elias, 18, signed with the academy team and is set to make his debut when the club kicks off its United Soccer League (USL) campaign next month. The senior team will not play until next year.

Elias, who plays in midfield, said that he is honored to make history and is grateful for the opportunity to represent his borough.

“It’s a special feeling. It’s very exciting because it’s the first professional club in Queens and I’m part of it,” Elias said.

Elias said that he is determined to make the senior team. He has taken the year off, following high school, to focus solely on his burgeoning soccer career.

“I’m trying to see where soccer takes me because playing soccer is my dream,” Elias said.

Piero Elias, Queensboro FC (Provided by Queensboro FC)

Elias said he works out in the gym each day and trains with the academy team five days a week at the Sports Underdome in Mount Vernon, Westchester. The team will play all of its home  games at the location.

The academy team will face off against 12 other teams in the northeast region and will play 24 games in total.

Elias, who was born in the US, is of Peruvian heritage and was called up to a training camp with Peru’s under 20 side last year.

He spent three weeks training with the team in Peru and said that playing soccer in another country was an invaluable experience.

Luis Gutierrez, the Technical Director of the Queensboro FC, said Elias has a bright future and that he has been impressed by his attitude.

“We see Piero as a player with a lot of potential. He is a traditional number 6, who can play as a holding and attacking midfielder, who can also drive and lead the team,” Gutierrez said.

“He is technically strong with a good range of short and long-distance passing and also has a good first touch.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens Together launches ‘Unofficial US Open Dining Guide’ encouraging fans to sample restaurants along the 7 line

Aug. 20, 2025 By Shane O’Brien

The US Open returns to Flushing Meadows Corona Park this Sunday, with more than 1 million attendees anticipated to take mass transit to the iconic annual tennis event. With hundreds of thousands of fans set to take the 7 out to the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, there is a world of delicious local eateries lying beneath the elevated train tracks should any fan wish to stop en-route to the US Open.