Aug. 15, 2019 By Shane O’Brien
Council Member Robert Holden has allocated nearly $96,000 to 10 food pantries serving families in need throughout Council District 30.
Holden announced that he was able to allocate the funds from the city’s 2020 fiscal budget to pantries in Glendale, Maspeth, Ridgewood, Woodhaven and Woodside.
Holden said that there was a greater need than ever to fund pantries across the city, citing a rising level of homelessness as a reason. He said he was proud to support the organizations involved.
“Many people fall on hard times in this city and a little bit of food from their local pantry can make a huge difference in their lives. I am thankful for every one of these organizations, and their selflessness is what makes District 30 a beautiful place,” Holden said.
A spokesperson for Holden’s office said that the 10 pantries collectively cater to more than 1,000 people each month.
Sacred Heart Church Food Pantry in Glendale, which serves more than 180 families in the area, will be getting a portion of the funds. Pastoral Associate Nancy Baer said the money will go a long way and that the church will be able to meet the public’s needs and will not have to turn people away.
Baer noted that the need is greater than ever, citing underemployment and rising rents in the area.
Similarly, the church of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal in Ridgewood will also receive funding to provide food for those in need and treasurer John Sendlein said that it was badly needed.
“Our only source of food is the food left at church, so this grant would allow us to provide more,” Sendlein said.
The following food pantries will receive funds:
- All Nations Baptist Church of Woodhaven (Woodhaven)
- Blessed Virgin Mary St. Mary’s Winfield (Woodside)
- Community Alliance Initiative (Glendale)
- The Legacy Center Community Development Corp. (Glendale/Ridgewood)
- Sacred Heart Church Food Pantry (Glendale)
- Matthias Church Food Pantry (Ridgewood)
- Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal (Ridgewood)
- Transfiguration/St. Stan’s (Maspeth)
- St Mary & St Antonios Coptic Orthodox Church (Ridgewood)
- Hungry Monk Rescue Truck (Ridgewood)