You are reading

Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Has Been Canceled, First Time in 75 Years

The OLMC Feast in 2015 (OLMC)

May 5, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Brooklyn’s annual Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel has been canceled due to the coronavirus– although an alternative date might be set for later this year.

The Italian-American celebration was scheduled to take place in July but – like so many other parades this year – it has been scrapped due to health and safety concerns surrounding COVID-19.

Organizers are hoping that the Williamsburg event will be rescheduled for later this year and said they would revisit that prospect come fall.

The pastor of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Rev. Monsignor Jamie Gigantiello, made the announcement Sunday and said that the safety of parishioners and the feast family were their number one priority.

“We are in unprecedented and uncertain times,” he said.

It marks the first time in over 75 years that the event has been canceled.

The festival dates back to 1903 when Italian immigrants first brought the tradition to the neighborhood. The event honors both San Paolino, a priest who lived roughly 1,600 years ago in Nola, Italy–and Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

The parade is perhaps best known for the hoisting and parading of a 65-foot, 4-ton structure called the Giglio through neighborhood streets.

The cancellation of the festival also means the parish will lose its main source of income and Gigantiello made an appeal for donations

“Cancellation of the feast is a financial burden we cannot stand to bear,” he said.

Gigantiello remained upbeat however and assured followers that the next gathering will be one to remember.

“The next time we lift the Giglio, it will touch the sky higher than it ever has before,” he said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

NYPD searching for burglary crew that targeted nearly 30 laundromats in Queens and others in Brooklyn and the Bronx

Police from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst are looking for three masked men who broke into Susan’s Laundromat at 85-12 Grand Ave. at around 3:15 a.m. on Monday, June 24, while a fourth member of their crew acted as a lookout near their getaway car parked in front.

The burglars stole $1,800 in cash and removed a payment machine for the laundry room continuing an undetermined amount of cash.

Law enforcement ghost car crackdowns continue with dozens of vehicles seized on Whitestone Bridge: MTA

MTA Bridge and Tunnel officers, the NYPD and law enforcement partners impounded 55 vehicles from motorists crossing into Queens on the Whitestone Bridge on Monday, July 8, as a multi-agency crackdown continued unabated.

Governor Kathy Hochul announced on Tuesday that through 25 joint enforcement operations focusing on ghost plates and persistent toll violators on bridges and tunnels throughout New York City, 1,540 vehicles have been impounded, 339 arrests have been made and 12,007 summonses have been issued so far this year to drivers who owe more than $12.5 million in unpaid tolls and fees.