You are reading

DOT Says Select Bus Service Along Woodhaven and Cross Bay Boulevards is a Success, Not Everyone is Convinced

Nov. 21, 2018 By Christian Murray

The Department of Transportation announced Tuesday that the Select Bus Service that links the Rockaways with Woodside–via Woodhaven and Cross Bay Boulevards–has decreased travel times for riders since its introduction last year.

Travel times for bus riders have improved by nearly 10 percent on the Q52/Q53 SBS route, which was rolled out amid controversy on Nov. 12, 2017. Meanwhile, travel times for all other modes of transportation along Woodhaven and Cross Bay Boulevards have stayed the same since the introduction of SBS, the agency said.

The DOT, as part of SBS, removed a travel lane along the boulevards for the sole use of buses, which critics say has increased congestion. Furthermore, there have been parking bans in sections of the corridor that many argue has hurt small businesses.

But the DOT says SBS has been a success since it was launched 12 months ago.

“On the first anniversary of the roll-out of SBS on the Q52 and Q53 lines, we can take pride in the fact that Woodhaven and Cross Bay Boulevards have truly been transformed,” said DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg in a statement Tuesday.

Darrly Irick, president of the MTA Bus Company, also said SBS has made commuting better. “When buses can move with fewer impediments, trips end up being safer and more reliable.”

The DOT made a series of changes in addition to the introduction of dedicated bus lanes. These included off-board fare collection along the whole route, median stations and all-door boarding.

Weekday ridership is up between 5 to 8 percent on the Q52/Q53 SBS route since it was launched, the DOT said, and 87 percent of riders surveyed prefer SBS over the previous service.

But State Sen. Joseph Addabbo Jr. is not convinced by the DOT’s analysis. “It’s debatable, it’s questionable.”

Addabbo said that he has no doubt that bus travel times have improved and ridership has increased. But he argues that this positive has come at the expense of other road users.

He said that traffic congestion is far worse with the loss of a travel lane and he doubts that travel times for motorists are unchanged.

He said during rush hour periods the boulevards have become a parking lot and that it is adding to pollution. He said that he has lived in the area his entire life and he has never seen traffic so backed up.

Addabbo said residents who live on local streets near the boulevards have experienced an uptick in traffic. Many motorists are now using local streets to avoid traffic on the boulevards.

The removal of parking in many areas has also hurt small businesses, he said.

The DOT said that crashes resulting in injuries have declined on the corridor by 6 percent over the past year, while noting that there have been two fatalities at the intersection of Woodhaven Boulevard and Jamaica Avenue in recent months.

The DOT said changes have been made to the intersection.

Addabbo said that more work needs to be done on SBS. “I would not claim it to be a success. There are many things that need to be resolved.”

DOT

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Op-ed: An urgent call for revising NY’s criminal justice reforms to protect public safety

Apr. 11, 2024 By Council Member Robert Holden

In 2019, the State Legislature and Governor Andrew Cuomo embarked on a controversial overhaul of New York’s criminal justice system by enacting several laws, including cashless bail and sweeping changes to discovery laws. Simultaneously, the New York City Council passed laws that compounded these challenges, notably the elimination of punitive segregation in city jails and qualified immunity for police officers. These actions have collectively undermined public safety and constrained law enforcement effectiveness.

Young man sought for scrawling swastika on an SUV in Middle Village: NYPD

The NYPD’s Hate Crimes Task Force is now looking for a suspect who allegedly drew a swastika on an SUV in Middle Village late last month.

Police from the 104th Precinct in Ridgewood reported that on the afternoon of Saturday, Mar. 30, an unidentified man approached a Honda Pilot parked in front of a home at 66-65 70th St., just north of All Saints Cemetery and drew the swastika on the rear bumper of the vehicle at around 5:45 p.m..

City employee charged in fatal collision that killed a Middle Village woman in Elmhurst last month: NYPD

A truck driver for the city’s Department of Environmental Protection was arrested and charged in a fatal collision in Elmhurst last month.

Roderick Mitchell, 38, of Valley Stream, Long Island, turned himself in at the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst, where he was charged with failure to yield and failure to exercise due care for striking 43-year-old Natalia Garcia-Valencia of Middle Village on the morning of Tuesday, Mar. 12.