You are reading

Disgraced Former Woodside Deacon Pleads Guilty to New Charges of Having Sex With 3 Teenage Boys

Rogelio Vega, pictured, pleaded guilty to federal charges of having sex with three teenage boys (Photo: St. Sebastian Roman Catholic Church

Sept. 16, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

A disgraced former Catholic deacon from Maspeth – who was convicted in state court last year of attempting to hook up with a teenage boy for sex purposes – has pleaded guilty to federal charges of having sexual encounters with three teenage boys.

Rogelio Vega — who previously served as a deacon at Saint Sebastian Church in Woodside — pleaded guilty Friday in Brooklyn Federal court to three counts of enticing a child to engage in sexual conduct.

According to the charges, Vega, 52, met the boys separately on multiple occasions between 2015 and January 2021 – where he took part in sex acts with them. The victims were aged between 14 and 16 at the time. It is unclear where the sexual encounters took place.

The ex-deacon targeted the boys using the Kik messaging app — which is used primarily by teens and young adults – and the gay hook-up app Grindr where he expressed his interest in “young guys.”

Vega, who is married with four kids, then met the boys for sexual encounters in his car or at motels, according to prosecutors.

Vega’s latest crimes came to light after cops seized his phone during a January 2021 sting operation where the then-deacon was trying to lure a 14-year-old boy to his car for sex acts. The “teen” was actually an undercover cop and police subsequently searched Vega’s phone to find sexually explicit messages between him and the three boys.

He pleaded guilty to the state case involving the 14-year-old boy in October and was sentenced to 10 years probation and listed on the sex offender registry. The federal case broadened the investigation to cover additional victims.

Vega worked as a deacon at Saint Sebastian Roman Catholic Church in Woodside from 2015 up until his arrest in January 2021. He was then removed from his duties by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn — which oversees Saint Sebastian Church.

St. Sebastian Roman Catholic Church (Google Maps)

Vega was arrested on the federal charges on the same day he pleaded guilty to the state case, according to police sources. He has been in custody since then, police sources told the Queens Post.

According to federal court documents, Vega met one of the victims, a 16-year-old boy, approximately five to 10 times for sexual activity.

The encounters were initiated after Vega sent a series of sexually explicit messages to the boy via Kik — between April 2019 and December 2020 — where he expressed his clear interest in “young guys.” The victim also sent Vega around 20 sexually explicit images or videos.

The second victim in the federal case, a 14-year-old boy, told police he met Vega three or four times inside the deacon’s car — where they engaged in sexual activity.

The encounters occurred after Vega messaged the boy in July 2020 via Grindr, expressed his interest in “young guys,” and asked the victim his age.

The boy responded “14 but love older guys,” to which Vega wrote, “nice.”

The third victim in the federal case was 15 years old when Vega targeted him in 2015, prosecutors said. The victim told law enforcement that he met Vega three times when they engaged in sexual activity.

The abuse occurred despite the boy stating his age on his Grindr profile and telling Vega via the app that he was still attending school.

In one series of exchanges on the app, Vega told the boy to “bring condoms and something where we can lay down on,” and “don’t tell anyone about this.” Vega later texted the boy, “did you like it today?”

NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said Vega’s actions were “calculated, despicable wrongs.”

“Today’s guilty plea holds him responsible for his actions and prevents him from causing any additional harm,” Sewell said. “And he will forever be branded as a predator who used the internet to prey on underage victims for his own sexual gratification.”

Vega faces a statutory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison and a maximum of life imprisonment.

He will be sentenced on Jan. 20.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn released a statement following Vega’s guilty plea Friday.

“Immediately upon the arrest of Rogelio Vega in January 2021, the Diocese of Brooklyn removed him from ministry, which prohibited him from ministering as a Deacon and performing liturgical duties.”

“Following today’s admission of guilt in federal court, the Diocese of Brooklyn has reaffirmed that Mr. Vega is not recognized as a deacon and the process has begun to have him permanently removed from ministry.”

“We pray for the three victims in this case. May today’s resolution be a first step toward healing.”

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

Creep sought for performing ‘lewd act’ in front on M train rider in Ridgewood last month: NYPD

Police from the 104th Precinct and Transit District 33 are looking for a suspect in a public lewdness investigation for an incident on an M train at the Seneca Avenue station last month.

A 31-year-old woman was on board a Queens-bound M train on Sunday, Jan. 22, at around 9:20 p.m., when she was approached by the unknown man who proceeded to perform a lewd act in front of her, according to an NYPD spokesman, who could not provide any details about what the lewd act was.

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

Raga sworn in as first-ever Filipino American elected to the state Legislature

More than 300 community members attended the historic inauguration of Assemblyman Steven Raga as the first Filipino American elected to office in New York state.

Many who attended the swearing-in event at the Queens Museum in Flushing Meadows Corona Park wore traditional and cultural attire to the event at the building that once housed the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations from 1946 to 1950 until its current home in Manhattan became available for the world body.

Ridgewood’s 104th Precinct working to ward off illegal motorbikes, abandoned vehicles and more 311 complaints

Illegal parking, blocked driveways and abandoned vehicles are some of the more common issues at almost every community-driven meeting. The Ridgewood, Maspeth, Middle Village and Glendale communities know all too well that these issues constantly plague their quality of life. 

The 104th Precinct recently shared several posts on Twitter involving the confiscation of illegal motorbikes and the towing of multiple abandoned vehicles. The efforts to thwart these recurring quality-of-life issues increased over the last two months, at the same time Deputy Inspector Kevin Coleman, the commanding officer of the 104, took over.

Ridgewood Garden Associates lawsuit claims city DOT failed to negotiate on locations of new Citi Bike stations

Ridgewood Garden Associates Inc., a residential co-op based in Maspeth, is filing a lawsuit against the city’s Department of Transportation (DOT) and Lyft for their alleged lack of negotiation on alternative locations for the installation of Citi Bike stations near their property.

According to Ridgewood Garden Associates Inc.’s president of the board of directors, George Mandato, the organization sent a letter to Councilman Robert Holden in December 2022 requesting a discussion about alternative locations and dates for the DOT’s installation of the bike stations. However, they were unable to get the chance to do so.