You are reading

Developer’s Plan for Apartment Complex on Woodhaven Boulevard Gets Community Board Approval

The development site at the corner of Woodhaven Boulevard and 68th Road currently houses a garden center and auto repair shop (Google)

Jan. 15, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

An apartment complex planned for Woodhaven Boulevard in Rego Park got the green light from Community Board 6 Wednesday.

The approval comes in response to a developer’s application to rezone a large parcel on the corner of Woodhaven Blvd. and 68th Road in order to construct an 8-story, 92-unit building that would include 28 affordable units dedicated for seniors.

The plan also involves 8,000 square feet of retail space and approximately 8,720 square feet for medical offices.

CB6 voted in favor of the 68-19 Woodhaven Blvd. project on the condition that the developer lowers the height from 8 stories to 7 stories– in response to residents who argued that the building would be too tall. The board also called on the developer to come up with a plan to mitigate any potential damage to the surrounding buildings caused by construction.

The board ultimately approved the plan saying that the community’s need for senior affordable housing outweighed the negative aspects of the project.

The developer, listed as 68-19 Rego Park LLC, needs the property rezoned in order to move forward with the project. The plans involve the demolition of existing buildings that contain a florist/garden center as well as an auto repair shop.

A number of residents submitted written complaints to the board that were read out by Community Board 6 Chairperson Alexa Weitzman.

Some wrote that the proposed development was too high, given the height of the surrounding buildings–that are mainly residential.

They said that an 8-story structure would block sunlight into their homes and thus impact their quality of life. They also argued that the reduction in sunlight would decrease the value of their homes.

Some residents raised safety concerns, arguing that the demolition and construction of the project would cause cracks and damage to surrounding buildings. They said that many of these buildings–primarily residential–are old and would not be able to withstand the impact of vibrations.

Another complaint was that the demand for parking spaces would shoot up due to an influx of new residents, coupled with the building’s commercial element. The building would have 81 accessory parking spaces but they argue that the number would not meet the new demand.

Weitzman said that a petition opposing the plans had also been submitted to the board that was signed by 70 residents.

(Rendering presented at CB6)

The board’s Land Use Committee voted in favor of the plan last week, noting that there is a need for senior affordable housing.

The committee, however, requested that the developer make the units more affordable. The initial proposal called for all 28 affordable units to be available at 80 percent of the Area Median Income.

The developer, in response, pledged to reduce the income level to 60 percent of the Area Media Income for 18 of the 28 units.

The board’s vote Wednesday to approve the rezoning is an advisory opinion.

The plans will now go to the Queens Borough President’s office for another advisory opinion, before going to the City Planning Commission and then the City Council for a binding vote.

The rezoning application will need the support of Council Member Karen Koslowitz in order to pass the City Council. It is customary for the city council to vote according to the wishes of the local representative where the zoning change is proposed.

Illustration reveals proposed massing at 68-19 Woodhaven Blvd. – Source: City Planning

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Brooklyn man who was cleared in the murder of 14-year-old girl, indicted for attempted murder of teen in Middle Village last July: DA

A Brooklyn man who had a murder conviction vacated by the Queens District Attorney’s Office in November 2022 was indicted in connection to a fatal shooting in Middle Village.

Shamel Capers, 24, of Herzl Street, was arraigned Tuesday in Queens Supreme Court on an indictment charging him with attempted murder and Dante Hunter, 25, of Mott Avenue in Far Rockaway, was arraigned Monday on an indictment charging with murder and other crimes in the fatal shooting of 19-year-old Joshua Taylor in Middle Village last July.

Ridgewood liquor store owner arrested for accidently shooting alleged shoplifter from Brooklyn: NYPD

The owner of a Ridgewood liquor store was arrested and charged for shooting an alleged shoplifter from Brooklyn on Monday evening.

Francisco Valerio, 53, was taken into custody and booked at the 104th Precinct in Ridgewood on a first-degree reckless endangerment charge after he accidentally shot a 20-year-old who was assaulting him during a chaotic struggle inside his Franja Wine and Liquors shop at 785 Wyckoff Ave., according to the NYPD.

Five Queens startups win $20,000 each in 2024 Tech + Innovation Challenge

May. 19, 2024 By Czarinna Andres

A diverse range of businesses, including a yoga studio, an olive oil distributor, a female health care provider, a sustainable mushroom farmer, and an AI-powered physical therapy service, have been named winners of the 2024 Queens Tech + Innovation Challenge (QTIC). Each winner will receive a $20,000 grant to support their business operations.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.