You are reading

De Blasio Announces More Cancellations as Snowstorm Slams City

Storm hits Long Island City (Photo: Michael Dorgan/Queens Post)

Feb. 1, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced more cancellations Monday morning–as the city is expected to get slammed with at least 16 to 22 inches of snow.

School buildings will be closed Tuesday and vaccination appointments scheduled for tomorrow will be postponed, de Blasio said. Both were already shut down today.

Public school instruction will be fully remote until at least Wednesday.

In addition, alternate side parking rules will be suspended through Saturday, the mayor added.

The city is under a state of emergency order until 6 a.m. Tuesday and nonessential travel is restricted citywide due the blizzard conditions.

“Stay off the roads. Stay off the streets and sidewalks. Stay inside,” de Blasio said during a press briefing Monday. “If there’s any way you can avoid traveling, avoid traveling today.”

Above-ground subway service will also be suspended beginning at 2 p.m. today, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced at a separate new conference. Underground subway service will continue as well as buses–although some bus routes may be suspended in the next few hours.

Meanwhile, de Blasio said he hopes to see the streets cleared for outdoor dining at city restaurants tomorrow. Outdoor dining is suspended today for snow removal efforts.

The snow is expected to continue falling for most of the day. At times, the accumulation will be about two inches within an hour — making snow removal challenging.

“It’s a tough storm,” said City Sanitation Commissioner Edward Grayson. “We just need time to do our jobs.”

Grayson said Sanitation workers will be plowing over the same streets several times throughout the day. He reminded to New Yorkers to stay off the road.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.