You are reading

Cuomo Changes COVID-19 Nursing Home Policy

(Kevin P. Coughlin / Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)

May 11, 2020 By Christian Murray

Gov. Andrew Cuomo appears to have reversed course on his past ruling requiring nursing home operators to readmit seniors who have been treated elsewhere for COVID-19.

Cuomo, on March 25, ordered nursing homes to readmit seniors who had been treated at hospitals and other facilities for COVID-19.

Yesterday, Cuomo said nursing home residents now must test negative before they are allowed back into their nursing home facility.

Cuomo had been subject to much criticism for his March 25 directive. While nursing home patients are kept separate from the rest of the residents—many argue that it has put other seniors at risk. Some say that nursing homes don’t have the space for COVID-19 patients to be properly isolated.

His critics say that his policy—requiring readmission—added to the number of fatalities at nursing homes.

Cuomo said that this new directive was not a significant change of policy, since nursing home operators have always had the ability to transfer residents elsewhere if they believe they couldn’t provide the necessary care.

Cuomo also announced an additional requirement to increase safety Sunday. All nursing home staff must undergo increased testing.

“Today we’re taking additional steps to protect residents of nursing homes,” Cuomo said. “All nursing home staff must now be tested twice a week. That’s not just a temperature check. That is a diagnostic test.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Three muggers sought for punching and robbing an M train rider in Glendale: NYPD

Police from the 104th Precinct in Ridgewood are looking for three muggers who assaulted an M train rider at a Glendale subway station in the early morning hours of Sunday, June 16.

The 42-year-old man was standing on the platform inside the Seneca Avenue subway station just before 3 a.m. when the three strangers approached him and allegedly punched him multiple times in his face while forcibly removing his cell phone before running out of the station onto Palmetto Street, police said. The victim refused medical attention at the scene.

Cyclist sought for endangering the welfare of a child in Richmond Hill: NYPD

Police from the 102nd Precinct in Richmond Hill are looking for a cyclist who rode up alongside a 9-year-old girl and tried to engage her in conversation at around 8 a.m. on Thursday, June 13.

The encounter occurred in the vicinity of Jamaica Avenue and 104th Street while the youngster was walking to school. When the man asked the girl to join him on his bike, the girl sensed danger and took off, running to her school where she alerted authorities of the incident.

Man sought for stealing a scooter near a Middle Village fast food restaurant after slugging its rider: NYPD

Police from the 104th Precinct in Ridgewood are looking for a suspect who punched out a 47-year-old man, threatened to shoot him and stole his scooter in Middle Village more than a week ago.

The incident occurred near the Wendy’s restaurant at 61-11 Fresh Pond Rd. at 1:30 a.m. on Tuesday, June 11, when the stranger approached the victim and took his two-wheeled scooter. When the man tried to take his bike back, the assailant punched him and acted like he had a firearm, then fled on the scooter westbound on Eliot Avenue toward Metropolitan Avenue. The victim sustained minor injuries and refused medical attention at the crime scene.