You are reading

City Aids 139 Homeless People Found on the Subway Last Night

A homeless person sleeps on the E train (Wikimedia Commons/ Jess Hawsor / CC BY-SA)

May 6, 2020 By Allie Griffin

City workers convinced 139 homeless New Yorkers sleeping in subway cars and stations last night to take refuge at city shelters.

NYPD and MTA officers, along with outreach workers, found 242 homeless people in the subways and stations when trains were closed early this morning from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. Each was offered assistance in finding a bed and 139 took the offer.

Mayor Bill de Blasio praised the success of the outreach effort on the first morning of the new nightly closures during the coronavirus pandemic.

“More than half of the people encountered and engaged, agreed to leave the subways, to leave the streets and come in and that’s an amazing reality to begin with,” de Blasio said.

The 139 people have been moved into safe havens and congregant shelters, he said.

Governor Andrew Cuomo and the mayor announced last week that subway service would end each day from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. so cleaning crews can disinfect each subway car and station amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Many elected officials have complained that homeless New Yorkers have taken over the subways as ridership has dramatically reduced with people staying home during the health crisis.

The overnight shutdown means all New Yorkers, including the homeless, must vacate the subways and stations during the specified hours.

Social Services Commissioner Steven Banks did note, however, that some of the homeless people they helped last night will return to the subway.

“Some people may return, but we’ll be back every night, offering that helping hand to bring them off the streets,” Banks said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Ridgewood liquor store owner charged for shooting alleged shoplifter he was trying to pistol-whip: DA

A Ridgewood liquor store owner is facing up to seven years in prison for shooting an alleged shoplifter during a struggle in front of his shop on Monday evening.

Francisco Valerio, 53, of Eldert Street in East New York, Brooklyn, was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Tuesday night on assault charges and other crimes for allegedly discharging his firearm when attempting to pistol-whip 20-year-old Kevin Pullatasi during an altercation in front of his Franja Wine and Liquors shop at 785 Wyckoff Ave. Pullutasi, of Summit Street in Red Hook, Brooklyn, and his codefendant Edwin Poaquiza, 20, of Van Buren Street in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn, were also arrested and booked at the 104th Precinct in Ridgewood.