You are reading

Abandoned Belmont Steaks Restaurant Likely to Become 3-Story Medical, Residential Development

The abandoned Belmont Steaks restaurant at 79-11 Myrtle Ave. (Google Maps)

Nov. 12, 2018 By Laura Hanrahan

A developer could soon be breathing new life into the long-abandoned Belmont Steaks restaurant property.

The property owner, listed as A. Trinchese Myrtle LLC, filed plans with the Department of Buildings last week to build a three-story mixed-use building on the 79-11 Myrtle Avenue lot.

The new development will house a healthcare facility and retail store at ground level, according to the plans, along with eight residential units on the two upper floors.

The plans also call for five parking spaces to be built in an underground parking garage in the property.

The horse racing-themed steakhouse has been vacant for more than five years after a run dating back to the late 90s.

The abandoned building has been an eyesore in Glendale since its closing, with reports last year of a severe fly infestation at the site, believed to have been the result of vermin or or other wildlife present on the property.

Community Board 5 District Manager Gary Giordano said at the time, according to the Queens Courier, that the board had filed a formal complaint with the Health Department on the matter. Council Member Robert Holden’s office also said it was were looking into the issue.

A. Trinchese Myrtle LLC, bought the former restaurant property in April 2016 for $885,000, records show. No permit requests have been filed to demolish the existing building.

The developer did not respond to a request for comment by press time.

email the author: [email protected]

2 Comments

Click for Comments 

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Op-ed: An urgent call for revising NY’s criminal justice reforms to protect public safety

Apr. 11, 2024 By Council Member Robert Holden

In 2019, the State Legislature and Governor Andrew Cuomo embarked on a controversial overhaul of New York’s criminal justice system by enacting several laws, including cashless bail and sweeping changes to discovery laws. Simultaneously, the New York City Council passed laws that compounded these challenges, notably the elimination of punitive segregation in city jails and qualified immunity for police officers. These actions have collectively undermined public safety and constrained law enforcement effectiveness.

Young man sought for scrawling swastika on an SUV in Middle Village: NYPD

The NYPD’s Hate Crimes Task Force is now looking for a suspect who allegedly drew a swastika on an SUV in Middle Village late last month.

Police from the 104th Precinct in Ridgewood reported that on the afternoon of Saturday, Mar. 30, an unidentified man approached a Honda Pilot parked in front of a home at 66-65 70th St., just north of All Saints Cemetery and drew the swastika on the rear bumper of the vehicle at around 5:45 p.m..

City employee charged in fatal collision that killed a Middle Village woman in Elmhurst last month: NYPD

A truck driver for the city’s Department of Environmental Protection was arrested and charged in a fatal collision in Elmhurst last month.

Roderick Mitchell, 38, of Valley Stream, Long Island, turned himself in at the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst, where he was charged with failure to yield and failure to exercise due care for striking 43-year-old Natalia Garcia-Valencia of Middle Village on the morning of Tuesday, Mar. 12.