You are reading

20-Year-Old Man Who Allegedly Killed 79-Year-Old Golf Course Worker Indicted: DA

iStock

Oct. 1, 2021 By Christian Murray

A 20-year-old man who allegedly assaulted a senior citizen during a confrontation at a golf course in Queens last year—which arguably caused the elderly man’s death days later—has been indicted on charges of assault and criminally negligent homicide.

David Mangaran, of Allentown, Penn., faces up to seven years in prison for allegedly attacking a 79-year-old Whitestone man who was working at the Forest Park Golf Course in September 2020 when the assault took place. The attack is believed to have led to the senior’s death.

The defendant, who was with a number of teenagers at the time of the incident, allegedly attacked the 79-year-old after being told that he was trespassing on the golf course and had to leave.

“Physical violence is never the appropriate response during a confrontation. The victim was a senior citizen, whose life was tragically cut short due to the alleged actions of this defendant,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz in a statement.

According to the charges, at around 3 p.m. on Sept. 8, 2020, Mangaran was on a bicycle on the grounds of the Forest Park Golf Course when the victim, William Hinchey, approached the defendant in a golf cart and told him to leave the property.

Moments later, Mangaran allegedly grabbed Hinchey and pulled him from the cart. He then dragged him across the pavement and then threw him to the ground.

Hinchey, according to the District Attorney, was taken to a nearby hospital, where he died from his injuries.

Mangaran was arraigned yesterday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Toni Cimino on a three-count indictment charging him with two counts of assault in the second degree and criminally negligent homicide. He was ordered to return to court on Dec. 21.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.